Sunday, January 8, 2012

As you sleep...

Well, at least one  of you is asleep. The tooth fairy came for you last night, a whole $1 left on the side of the table, because the idea of the tooth fairy reaching under your pillow was " Freaking you out". 

But this morning as the sun rises, your sister is talking to her toes, at least I assume so from what I can hear on the baby monitor and you are snoring here in bed with me buried under the covers. I'm afraid I have to inform you that your Great-great Aunt Thelma has passed on.

Thelma is actually you Great-great Aunt, but to you and I she has always been Aunt Thelma. Today I will have to spend the day with my mom making phone calls, making funeral arrangements and probably cleaning her house to prepare for after the funeral. You probably won't understand. I may not be able to go ice skating with you, but I hope I can.

Thelma always loved us. I've been visiting her since I was a baby, and when I was around three, I used to spend a lot of time at her house, playing in the woods, her gardens, and with the chickens.  I watched scary movies behind my mom's back at her house, I had a magical fairy land in her woods and a troll under the bridge in her creek. It was always fun with Thelma. As I got older, visits became less due to silly family fighting that Grandma Pat and I had nothing to do with, but suffered the most, as did Thelma. Then shortly before you came along, her husband Tommy passed on and the doors re-opened. But, even then, the disease had started to take hold, but it was way too early to tell. Now as we look back, we can see. But she was a great woman, she loved you, unfortunately, for my littlest girl, the disease had taken hold before she could know you.

I hope you understand today. You've handled death pretty well, but this will be the first person that has died that you are close to. It's 8:14 and you are started to stir. Know that she is better off, wherever she may be now.  We'll miss her. I love you girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment